The strategic organizational functions that deal with issues and comprehensive approach to managing people, workplace culture and environment include attendance in workplace. Work ethics that are more valued by employers include - productivity, teamwork spirit, respect for constituted authority, good attitude to work, good appearance, and of course, attendance.
Although, certain levels of education, training, and experience are important yet, organizational management looks at work ethics as equally important.
Attendance, like all other work ethics, affects every aspect of the workplace and the entire business, most importantly livestock business, as found in most African countries where manual labor contributes above 80 percent of the farm activities.
Good attendance attitude in any workplace may include the following:
- Showing up for duty on time more often
- Giving proper notification of absence, tardiness (slow action)
- Stickiness to work schedules
- Readiness to start work on time
- Remaining on the job during complete day or night duty
- Limited use of leave, and so on.
All these should be quantified and verified through proper taking of employee attendance and leave records for important future appraisals and other references.
Self-discipline which is the act of developing the disciplinary nature of doing right, in the right way, at all times with a determination to succeed in all aspects in the life of an individual cannot be over emphasized in workplace attendance ethics. At times, the most qualified applicant can lose out due to attendance problem.
In many organizations, the insensitivity to co-workers, unaccountability for responsibilities and poor interest in organizational success are signs and attitudes of employees with poor attendance.
Effects of Poor Attendance in Workplace
Absent and tardy (very slow) workers affect co-workers, customers and other clients in the following ways:
- Worker who absent from work mostly leaves important work for fewer coworkers
- Absenteeism creates more work and encourages clock-watching attitude among others
- Inconclusive job automatically becomes roll over to another day
- This disrupts and causes reschedule of work target, planned off/ leave of workers
- It disturbs supervisors already created staffing plans and may distract their attention
- It delays the achievement of important and targeted company operational objectives
- It also results in poor effectiveness and productivity
- Absenteeism encourages bad feelings among other workers that are following the company rules, and practice good work ethics
- Absenteeism also creates room for loss of clients, customers’ confidence
- In general, it affects the company’s earnings and profits.
To Encourage Workplace Attendance
Management and supervisors can easily manage employee attendance to reduce attendance problems and its effects in two or more ways. These are based on the nature of operation and available conditions:
- Progressive Discipline could be achieved through:
- Counseling employee about his/her performances, this may unfold the likely challenges being faced
- Verbal warning and reprimand (unapproved) of employee poor performances
- Documented written warning to improve on poor performances
- Suspension of individuals who failed to improve for certain number of days
- Finally, terminate the employment if refused to improve
- 2. Attendance Encouragement involves:
- Encouraging supervisors on good record keeping for effective reference
- More positive ways to track the time-off of employees
- Ensuring same time-off rules for every employees in fairness and justice and
- Introducing a good sick leave or paid vacation as Paid Time Off (PTO) policy
- Appreciate, respect, and recognize positive employee attendance without the feeling that they must be paid extra for doing their job.
In conclusion, many employment opportunities create consequences employees experience when failing in his or her work attendance. This is mostly important and helpful to all employees with good attendance and hard work.In conclusion, many employment opportunities create consequences employees experience when failing in his or her work attendance. This is mostly important and helpful to all employees with good attendance and hard work.